Monday, July 16, 2012

Berried Treasure

There's something about summer that makes me crave cold treats.  I don't know, maybe it's the scorching heat!!

I'm usually not the biggest fan of pudding type desserts, but oh how I love them in the summer.  I ran across this recipe cleverly titled Berried Treasure  the other day on, you guessed it, pinterest and knew it would be perfect to make for our out-of-town guests who were stopping by Saturday night.

It always makes me nervous trying out a new recipe on guests.  I mean, what if it's a dud!  I have a reputation to uphold! 

Thankfully.....
it was A-MAZ-ING!  So freakin' good!  

What's not to love about fresh fruit, cream cheese and homemade graham cracker crust altogether in one desert?!?  That's always a winning combination in my book!



Here's the recipe:
Crust:
1.5 cups graham crackers crumbs (1.5 sleeves of graham crackers crushed)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter - melted
 
Directions:    
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.  Press firmly in a 9x13 baking dish and bake for 8 minutes at 350. Cool (you can stick it in the fridge to speed up the process)

Filling:
One 8 oz. cream cheese - softened
1/4 cup of sugar
2 T plus 2.5 cups of cold milk
16 oz. cool whip - thawed
1 pint of strawberries – halved
1 pint blueberries (you can use any kind of berry you want)
One 6 oz vanilla instant pudding (I used two packages of the 3.4 oz boxes)

Directions:
Beat cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar and 2 T of milk until smooth; fold in 1/2 of Cool Whip. Spread this over the already baked and cooled crust and arrange the strawberries (and other berries if you want) on top. Mix the pudding packages (6oz) and 2.5 cups of milk; beat 1-2 minutes. Pour the pudding mixture over the strawberries/berries and chill for several hours or overnight. Spread with remaining Cool Whip before serving.

Unfortunately (I say unfortunately, but Adam would say fortunately...), our guests didn't make that big of a dint in the 9x13 pan of goodness, so Adam and I have been FORCED to snack on it all weekend.  I mean, we can't let it go to waste.....

You're gonna wanna make this ASAP!  Or just come over and finish off the rest of ours.  My thighs thank you in advance!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Cream cheese, strawberries, and blueberries are sure to make for a yummy treat in this summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! So funny - I make a similar dessert and actually made it this weekend for dinner with friends. I used a premade Nilla pie crust (b/c I'm lazy) and then layer strawberries and bananas. Pour vanilla pudding over top and refrigerate to set. Top with whipped cream - homemade, of course - and more strawberries. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade whipped cream - FANCY! Mine was homemade right out of the ole Cool Whip container!

      Delete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...