Thursday, June 7, 2012

By Request

Ever since we bought our ice cream maker, Adam has wanted to make peach ice cream.  His mom used to always make it growing up, and he LOVED it.  I'd been waiting until peaches were in season, because canned ones would be blasphemy, so when I saw some ripe peaches in the grocery store this weekend, I snagged them up.

I found this recipe in Southern Livings's 20 Best Homemade Ice Cream Recipes. 

It was SUPER easy to make, SUPER delicious and most importantly, it passed "The Momma Test," which goes a little something like this:
Me to Adam: "Sooooo.......is it as good as your momma's??"
I don't always succeed, but this time, I passed with flying colors!  Adam LOVED it!

Here's the recipe: (I halved it, because the recipe is for one of those big 4-quart ice cream makers.)

Ingredients
4 cups peeled, diced fresh peaches (about 8 small ripe peaches)
1 cup sugar
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (3.75-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 
4 cups half-and-half

Directions
  1. Combine peaches and sugar, and let stand 1 hour.
  2. Process peach mixture in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
  3. Stir together evaporated milk and pudding mix in a large bowl; stir in peach puree, condensed milk, and half-and-half.
  4.  Pour mixture into freezer container of a 4-quart hand-turned or electric freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon into an airtight container, and freeze until firm.
It's summer time; make some homemade ice cream ASAP!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. OHHHH MYYYYY GGGAAAAAWWWWDDDDD, I'm so excited about this recipe! The majority of ice cream recipes I've seen all have milk, cream, eggs and a custard gotta make then cool in fridge then freeze! THIS one looks spectacular! Where did you get your peaches and at how much? If it was in East I've gotta go soon.
    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got the peaches at the Kroger on Old Hickory (Nipper's Corner area). If you want some from East Nashville though, the East Nashville Farmers' Market on Wednesday afternoons always has some (and they're delicious!).
      I will say that even though the recipe doesn't say to chill first, I did put the liquid in the fridge for about two hours since I was using my cuisinart ice cream maker and not a traditional one. I always do that when making ice cream, so I thought I would be better safe than sorry...

      Delete
  2. Not sure if you made it to Martha's Purity Bash on Sunday, but man oh man, there was a peach ice cream made w/ buttermilk and it was AMAYYY-ZINNNGGG!! I actually had to go and ask the lady what her ingredient was that made it so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...