Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Decisions

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.
Sometimes they're not easy.
Sometimes you're very conflicted and confused on what the right decision is.

What to do?  What to do?

Yesterday, I had to have an emergency root canal.  It was horrible and painful and everything you would expect a root canal to be.  My tooth was infected and on the verge of being abscess.  So along with the root canal came a 10-day prescription of antibiotics.  As horrible as the root canal was, it was NOTHING compared to the pain I was in with the infected tooth.  VERY thankful to have the problem eliminated and on the upswing.

After the procedure, the endodontist was going over the do's and don'ts of post-op.  One of the don'ts included no cardiovascular activity for the next 2-3 days.  Ummm, excuse me.....what about running a marathon in five days?!?!

He didn't say I couldn't, but he also didn't say it was a good idea.  He simply said I knew my body best, and that I wouldn't start hemorrhaging or anything, but it could inflame the tooth which would cause more pain.

Adam asked me yesterday what I was going to do, and I said I just can't think about this today.  I'll think about it tomorrow.

Well today is tomorrow.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I'm so frustrated!  It's like the running gods don't want this to happen.  "Oh, pneumonia didn't stop you.  How about a root canal five days before the race!?!"  *insert evil laugh here*

Ugh......



 post signature

4 comments:

  1. Sorry your root canal was not up to par. I had never heard that statement before. I always get that goofy gas stuff for all my dental treatments. I had 2 root canals done at one on my front teeth and used that goofy gas. I came out super and ate corn on the cob that weekend. I would say your dentist was a little rough on you. :) I think you are a trooper and should go for the race. But don't come looking for me if the pain is worse. :) Sherri (HoundDogMom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri :) The endodonist did a great job. It was just the tooth was so bad infected that there was no way to make it not painful. Fingers crossed I can still run a marathon on Saturday!

      Delete
  2. You can do it! You officially became a hardcore runner when you did that half marathon in like -15 degree weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,

    Found your website when I did a search for root canal and running. I just went through something similar in the past week. I attempted to run a marathon before the root canal while on antibiotics. Anyhoo, I think the infection took a toll on my body so I felt like I was running in slow motion. I stopped at the half marathon point. Could I have finished the marathon? Yeah, probably, but it felt pretty rough. Maybe if the procedure would have been before the marathon, things would have been better? Who knows?

    Anyhoo, my only point is that you can go out and give it a shot and see what happens. Pay attention to how you feel. If you feel good, keep on going. If you are having a rough time, there are plenty of other marathons out there. I will keep my eye out on your blog to see how it goes! Good luck!

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...