Sunday, February 12, 2012

Frostbite Half Marathon

Second half marathon - DONE!

Yesterday, Adam and I ran the Frostbite Half Marathon at Cedars of Lebanon State Park as part of the Tennessee Running Tour.  Just as I feared, when we woke up Saturday morning, it was FREEZING outside, and to top it all off, it was snowing....HARD!

By the time the race started at 11 a.m., it was no longer snowing but extremely cold - 25 degrees with the windshield at 17 degrees, to be exact!

This was my first race in weather this cold, so I was a little unsure on what to wear.
I ended up wearing tights, a long sleeve shirt, a jacket, headband and gloves.  It turned out to be perfect.  The gloves weren't wicking material (just cheap Target ones), so my only complaint would be that my hands kept going from hot to cold.  

The tights were new, so I was SUPER nervous about wearing them without ever running in them before (usually a big no-no), but they turned out to be fabulous!  I have another pair of running tights that suck, because I spend the majority of my time yanking them up, because they sag so bad.  Not these!  I never had to touch them once.  They are the premium running tights from Target (of all places).  If you haven't stopped by Target's workout section yet, you really should.  They have phenomenal running clothes!

Adam wore a long sleeve shirt, gloves, a hat, running tights and shorts on top.  He said it worked out perfect for him.  He wanted to just wear shorts at first, but thank goodness I talked him into wearing tights underneath his shorts.  There were a handful of crazy nuts wearing shorts, but the majority of the runners wore tights.

 The race went through the state park along a paved road.  No trails - you know how I feel about trails!

There was still snow on the ground from the morning dusting along some parts of the road.

The course was pretty darn hilly.  Much more hilly than I expected.  The roughest part was the weather.  It was SO cold.  So cold that I started losing feeling in my face and my left arm.  My arm was so numb I kept having random electrical pulses shoot through my arm - that's the best way I can explain it, because I've never experienced anything like it before.

My face was so frozen that I could barely drink water, my chomps were completely out of the question because I couldn't chew, and when the race was over, I could barely talk, because I felt like I couldn't move my mouth properly.

The wind was absolutely BRUTAL!  It was like running into a huge frozen wall.  NOT so fun!

There was a lot more runners than either of us expected - a little over 600!  Both of our goals was to simply beat our previous times from the Country Music Half (Adam: 1:58, me 2:12).

We both did it!  
Adam came in at 1:49:16, 155 overall and 12th in his age division (Male: 25-29).
I came in at 2:00:52, 276 overall and 10th in my age division (Female: 25-29).

I was SUPER pumped about two hours.  I shaved 12 minutes off my previous time, and this course was MUCH more hiller than the Country Music Half, and not to mention freezing.

Next up - New Orleans Rock N' Roll Half Marathon on March 4th!  I am SO ready for that nice, FLAT, below sea level course!!



  post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...