Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sausage, Egg and Biscuit Breakfast Casserole

I love, Love, LOVE breakfast.  Adam and I always make a big breakfast either on Saturday or Sunday morning (and sometimes during the week for supper).  I found this recipe recently, and it looked so yummy in the pictures that I just had to try it. 

So Friday night, I whipped it up and put it in the fridge for Saturday morning.  I love that about casseroles.  You see, I like to sleep late on the weekends (at least until 8:30 or 9 a.m.), and this particular casserole takes 45 minutes to bake.  So I thought it would be much easier if I made the casserole the night before, and Adam popped it in the oven when he woke up the next morning.  That way I could sleep late and wake up to piping hot breakfast casserole ready for me to devour.

Perfect plan!

It was super delicious and easy to make.  Here is the recipe.  I halved the recipe since, you know, there's only two of us....

Ingredients:
1 lb breakfast sausage
7 eggs
1  cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
8 frozen buttermilk biscuits, slightly thawed, halved
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.  Lightly spray a 7x11-inch dish with cooking spray.

Brown sausage in pan, breaking into chunks.  Drain fat.

Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper in a large measuring cup.  Set aside.

Slice each biscuit in half with serrated knife.  Place biscuit bottoms in baking dish.  Sprinkle half of cooked sausage over biscuits and top with half of the cheese.  Place remaining biscuits on top of cheese and cover with remaining sausage.  Pour egg mixture over biscuits.  (Can cover and refrigerate at this point)

Bake 30 minutes.   Sprinkle remaining cheese over casserole and bake until eggs are set, about 10-15 minutes.  Let casserole stand 10 minutes before serving.

I love breakfast!



post signature

4 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I love breakfast cassorole but have had a heard time finding one I really like, except for the one my friend bakes for me. I will have to give this one a try. Oh, and what is it like to sleep until 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning. My hounds are early risers no matter what day of the week. Sniffs, The HoundDogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I get to sleep late is because Adam gets up with Beauford. Adam's not much of a late sleeper, so he entertains Beauf and lets me sleep. Yep, he's awesome like that :)

      Delete
  2. This version looks really good! I make the same thing except instead of biscuits I use a bag of refrigerated shredded hashbrowns (like Simply Potatoes). Soooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...