Monday, January 23, 2012

Pinterest Project

I stumbled across this project on pinterest recently, and instantly thought, "Yes! A pinterest project I'm actually going to do!"

And do is exactly what I did this weekend.  What do you think?
 I love the way it turned out, but was it as easy as the site claimed it would be - HECK no!

Sit back and relax as I tell you the tale of the simple pinterest project gone all wrong!

The blog where I found this project explained the project as being sooo easy she forgot to take pictures.  The instructions said to get three canvases: one large one for the middle and two smaller ones for each side.  The canvases should all be the same height and smaller than your map.  She also recommended getting a poster map at Barnes and Nobles, since they have the antique looking ones instead of the bright colored school maps.  She attached the map to the canvases with modge podge. 

Ok, simple enough.  So Saturday, I stopped by Barnes and Nobles and picked up a map for $7.99 - score!  Next was Michaels for modge podge and three canvases - not so score.  Grand total at Michaels: $50.  Ok, so now we're up to almost $60 for a simple little project.

Whatever, I was really excited about the project, so I wasn't too concerned with the price (Adam on the other hand....).  As soon as I got home, I went straight to work on my project.  Well.....this is where things took a turn for the worse.  Modge podge was the worse idea EVER!  The map immediately bubbled up into a hot mess.  Adam suggested that I put too much modge podge on the canvas and to maybe just put a thin border for the next piece.  Well, once again - FAIL!  It rippled and bubbled up around the edges just like the other one.

I was so aggravated I could have screamed!  (Did I take pictures of the failed attempted - no.  Remember the whole "I was so aggravated I could have screamed!")  Needless to say, I had to rip the map off and start over from scratch.  Adam suggested just wrapping the map like a present and taping it in the back.  DUH!  Why didn't I think of that!  So Sunday, it was BACK to Barnes and Nobles for another $7.99 map to try again.

Second time around, the project was easy peasy.  I really like the way it turned out, but not so happy with its $70 price tag.  Oh well - you live and you learn.

At least I have a cool piece of art for the living room to show for it....

**You could also used pins to pin all the places you've been on the map.  We opted out since we've only been to places in the US and Canada.  I might go back and add pins though in the future.



post signature

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I was going to suggest pins as well. You could do pins for places you WANT to go. And I always seem to pick the hardest "simplest" projects myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on Hodge Podge. Everyone always says how easy it is, but it was a gigantic mess for me. And don't get me started on Gorilla Glue!

    My husband would love this wall art. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you think about trading with the best Bitcoin exchange service - YoBit.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...