Monday, October 17, 2011

Never Say Never

But I might be adding trail runs to that list.

Saturday morning, Adam and I ran the Two Lakes Trail Run at Montgomery Bell State Park in Dickson, Tenn. It was part of  the Tennessee State Parks Running Tour.  This was our first time to participate in one of the runs on the running tour, so we had no idea what to expect.
The race was 7.6 miles (yes, very random, but that just happened to be the length of the trail).  This was our second trail run (read about the first one here).  Trail runs are VERY different from street runs.  We both had a blast on our first trail run, so why would this one be any different...

A few pre-race shots:

We were shocked at the number of people that showed up for this race.  There was close to 200!

 And we're off!

The first quarter of a mile was through a camp ground heading back to the trail.  There were tons of people camping out, and everyone was outside cheering for us including these little fellas.

So here's a break down of the race:

It was SOOOO freakin' hard!  For all you Country Music Marathoners, those hills were NOTHING compared to what I was climping Saturday.  It was like the dang Rockies!!

Speaking of rocks, could the course of had more rocks!?!  Holy crap!  Needless to say, I spent the whole race trying not to break my neck.  The first trail run we ran had roots and stuff, but the trail, for the most part, was smooth.  The only problem last time was that it had rain the night before so the trail was really slick.  Well, not this trail.  It was not smooth by no means.  This trail should not be ran on.  It was way too dangerous for my likings!

So how did it go?  Well let's see -

I busted my ASS at mile 1!  That's right, I took a nose dive!  Like I mentioned, the trails was SUPER rocky and a lot of leaves had fallen. So the combination of leaves and unlevel rocks led to me busting it only one mile in!

By mile four, I had sworn off all future trail runs.  I officially fell once, but there were too many close calls to count.  You know, the ones where you just know you're about to fall, but thankfully catch yourself and recover - yeah, TONS of those!  I'm not even kidding when I tell you that I didn't go half a mile without that happening at least once.  So after 7.6 miles, I had had enough!

My hero! (She was at least 65, if not 70 years old.)  I hope I'm still running and have that rockin' body in my golden years! She was a badass and ran the whole thing! And your excuse was what again?? 

The trail was beautiful though, and the weather was amazing.  Perfect day for a run.

It went around a lake  (hence the name - Two Lakes Trail Run).

Adam finished in 1:13, and I came in at 1:32.  Am I happy with the time?  Of course not, but I was just happy to be alive - seriously!

I was so embarrassed when I fell.  I almost took the lady out in front of me when I was plummeting to my death, but luckily no one was close enough behind me to see the full glory of the fall.  I jumped up really fast and just kept running.  I was too embarrassed to even stop and look at my injuries until the first water stop.

Come to find out, I wasn't the only one to fall (though it felt like it at the time).  After the race, there were tons, I mean TONS, of people bleeding, scratched up and covered in dirt from where they fell. Actually, mine was pretty minor compared to most.  I didn't see anyone fall, but Adam said he did.  I did see a ton of people do the "OMG I'm about to fall, but I caught myself" move I was describing earlier.

My war wound in all its glory.  Luckily, it didn't bleed, because if it would have bled, I think I probably would have stopped, because this happened at mile 1.  I guess that was destiny telling me I had to finish; I had no excuse.

Am I glad I finished the race? Of course.
Would I do it again? Absolutely not.
Are there any trail runs in my future?  We'll see...




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...