Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Baby Shower Favors

For Val's shower, I was tasked with making this, this (muffin form, though) and favors.  I decided to go with cupcakes in pint size mason jars.

They turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

I used Paula Deen's strawberry cake recipe for the cupcakes.  After the cupcakes baked and cooled completely, I cut each cupcake in half and squeezed the bottom half into the bottom of each mason jar.  The jars had the perfect size opening at the top for the cupcakes to squeeze in perfectly.  I piped in cream cheese frosting (this recipe) on top of all the bottoms, and then crumbled the tops of the cupcakes on top of the first layer of frosting.  I topped off each jar with a little more frosting and walla!  You've got baby shower favors!

I also made the cute little tags.  I rounded the edges of some scrapbook paper and used a variety of stamps and black ink for the wording.  I punched a hole at the top of the tag for the ribbon, and there you have it! 

Notes about this project:
  • I would probably just use a box cake mix next time.  Though Paula Deen's strawberry cake recipe is a-maz-ingly delicious, it is also very dense; therefore, it didn't rise as well in cupcake form as a box cake mix would.
  • It took 2 1/2 batches of cream cheese frosting to pipe all the jars.  I made 22 jars.

For kicks, I also made these fun pacifier mints.

It's simply two Lifesavers mints and a jelly belly held together with frosting.  Not the most appetizing, but they're just so gosh darn cute!

I might be a fruit loop for saying this but I LOVE hosting parties and showers when I can do/make/bake fun stuff like this.  If only I had an endless amount of money, time and talent....



post signature

2 comments:

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...