Monday, September 12, 2011

Just Call Me...


Or Metal Mouth - whichever tickles your fancy....

Yep, it's true - I got braces today.  Today is the day I've been dreading from quite some time.  Braces are the next step in correcting my jaw issues (read here for a little background info).  The orthodontist said I'll have to wear them between 10-15 months, just depending on how it goes.

Here they are in all their glory:
I got clear brackets on the top and regular metal brackets on the bottom.  The clear brackets are porcelain, so the orthodontist recommended only getting clear brackets on the top because the bottom ones break easily.  The clear ones really aren't too bad.....

Gotta love a fake smile....

I was NOT at all excited about getting braces, but they're supposed to correct my bite, which in turn will help resolve my jaw issues.  I've never had perfectly straight teeth, but they were never crooked enough for braces.  Since the braces are technically for correcting my bite, getting my teeth perfectly straight is simply a major perk in the whole ordeal - I AM excited about that part!


Observations so far:
  1. Eating is going to be a complete b*itch for the next year!  I was already over-the-top paranoid about food being stuck in my teeth before braces (just ask Adam), so it's going to be hard simply eating in front of people.....
  2. In reference to #1, I have yet to figure out a good technique for getting said food out of my braces without being completely disgusting.
  3. My teeth started hurting about an hour ago, so I can only image what it's going to be like in the morning.  I see smoothies in my near future.
  4. Rubbing your lips together after applying lip gloss/chapstick is a bit tricky and painful.
  5. I can already tell I'm probably going to have a few sores on my inner upper lip from it constantly rubbing my braces.
One day down, 400+ days to go - let the countdown begin!



post signature

5 comments:

  1. I am a new follower (Jumping in Mud Puddles- whitneyjkey). I had jaw surgery when I was sixteen and it was not the worst thing ever, although I refuse to do it again. I did not have TMJ, but my jaw grew in crooked on one side. I feel your pain, I smell what you're stepping in, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Whitney! I'm going through all this mess just so I can stay away from jaw surgery - I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My surgeon told us that I was the only person that he had ever seen to GAIN weight with my mouth wired shut (too much chicken broth?) Good luck with the braces, I hope they work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're not bad! It'll be over before you know it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jennifer! And Whitney, you gained weight?! Ha, that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...