Or Metal Mouth - whichever tickles your fancy....
Yep, it's true - I got braces today. Today is the day I've been dreading from quite some time. Braces are the next step in correcting my jaw issues (read here for a little background info). The orthodontist said I'll have to wear them between 10-15 months, just depending on how it goes.
Here they are in all their glory:
Gotta love a fake smile....
I was NOT at all excited about getting braces, but they're supposed to correct my bite, which in turn will help resolve my jaw issues. I've never had perfectly straight teeth, but they were never crooked enough for braces. Since the braces are technically for correcting my bite, getting my teeth perfectly straight is simply a major perk in the whole ordeal - I AM excited about that part!
Observations so far:
- Eating is going to be a complete b*itch for the next year! I was already over-the-top paranoid about food being stuck in my teeth before braces (just ask Adam), so it's going to be hard simply eating in front of people.....
- In reference to #1, I have yet to figure out a good technique for getting said food out of my braces without being completely disgusting.
- My teeth started hurting about an hour ago, so I can only image what it's going to be like in the morning. I see smoothies in my near future.
- Rubbing your lips together after applying lip gloss/chapstick is a bit tricky and painful.
- I can already tell I'm probably going to have a few sores on my inner upper lip from it constantly rubbing my braces.