Sunday, September 18, 2011

Battle Cry

Warrior Dash - a 3.15 mile race with 10 obstacles along the way including bear crawling under barbwire in the mud and jumping over fire.

We first learned about Warrior Dash back in February, and it was an immediate "Hell Yeah!"

The race was yesterday in Manchester, Tenn. (where Bonnaroo is held and where we did this race).  As we were driving up, we could see the fire burning in the distance that we would have to jump over.


There were waves of 650 people all day long beginning at 8 a.m. with the last wave at 5 p.m.  Guess what wave me and Adam were in?  That's right, the very last wave at 5 p.m.

Since it was an all day event, they had bands playing and lots of food and beer.  It was one big party.


Since I wasn't able to run with my camera like I normally do for most races because of the mud, I shot this picture before our wave ran so you could see the fire we had to jump over.  
It was legit!

A few pre-race shots:

The race was SO freakin awesome!  Along with the other obstacles I mentioned, there was running through tires and over old cars, climbing FOUR giant walls with ropes, scaling hay bales, crawling through a pitch black tunnel and jumping over huge hurdles.

It was obvious that a lot of people thought it would just be more of a "fun" run with obstacles, because so many people were having to stop and walk right out of the gate.  You still had to be able to run 3.15 miles....

I will admit that I myself underestimated this race.  It was hardcore and very challenging!

Along with awards for fastest times, there was also a costume contest.  Here are some of the rascals we ran with:


The very last obstacle was bear crawling under barbwire in a mud pit.  Adam and I were completely covered in mud.  Thank goodness they had the fire department hosing everyone off at the very end of the race.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any pictures of us covered in mud.

Post race pics all cleaned up:
All runners got a tshirt, medal and a warrior helmet.

Adam and I finished in 38:47.  Adam was sweet and stuck back with me.  I came in 89 out of 1200 in my age division (Women's 25-29) and 2063 out of 10,946 overall.  Not too shabby since I came in the top 100 (barely, but I made it).

Definitely one for the books!




post signature

1 comment:

  1. Look at those guns, Shannon! Dang! Sounds like a fun time. Congrats to you and Adam!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...