Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Race

To say yesterday was one for the books is an understatement.  It was truly one of those days that I will never forget. 

The race started at Centennial Park.  We had to get up Saturday morning at 3:45 a.m. so that we could be parked no later than 5 a.m. to catch a shuttle over to Centennial.  It was an early and quite chilly morning.

 Us before the race at the start line.

 30,000 people participated in the race.  30,000!! It was unbelievable!  People were in front and behind us as far as the eye could see.  The picture above and below were taken at the start line.


 The route went all over downtown Nashville.  (Here's a shot of the Nashville skyline.)

 Including Broadway, where all the honky tonks are, and Music Row.

There was a band playing at every mile.  I loved that!




Spectators were handing out fruit and candy all along the route.  I grabbed a starburst at one point.  BIG mistake!  Too big and TOO much sugar!  I immediately had to spit it out.

The crowds were amazing!  There was not a point were there weren't people lining the streets cheering you on.  One house had "I Believe I Can Fly" playing from their porch.  It was hilarious!  All the runners really got into it.  I also loved reading all the signs and posters.  The best one to me read "Embrace the pain.  This is YOUR moment."  After reading that sign I immediately thought, "Yeah, this is MY moment!"

The race was not about trying to win (duh) or trying to hurry up and finish but about the experience.  I trained for this day for so long that I really didn't want it to end.  I wanted to simply enjoy the moment, because I knew it was going to be over before I knew it. I took pictures, read all the signs, gave high fives to a million kids, enjoyed the music and never once thought about stopping.

Each of us had our own goals going into the race - 
Adam: To finish under 2 hours
My Dad: Run the whole 13.1 miles without stopping to walk
Me- Run the whole 13.1 miles without stopping to walk

We did it! Adam came in under 2 hours, and me and Dad never stopped running for the whole 13.1 miles.

Official Times
Adam:
Pace 5 Km 10 Km 10 Mi ChipTime
9:03 26:28 54:17 1:28:31 01:58:39

Dad:
Pace 5 Km 10 Km 10 Mi ChipTime
9:50 29:57 59:57 1:36:38 02:08:49

Me:
Pace 5 Km 10 Km 10 Mi ChipTime
10:07 29:58 1:00:45 1:40:06 02:12:38


There can only be one "first" half marathon, and I'm so glad that me, Dad and Adam got to share that moment together.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I am seriously impressed that you did not stop on any of those hills! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...