Friday, April 22, 2011

Mexican Kitchen Salsa

Back in Hattiesburg, there is this A-MAZ-ING Mexican restaurant called Mexican Kitchen (Adam and Chelle would disagree and say it's all hype, but what do they know....).  I have never found another Mexican restaurant that can hold a finger to this place.  It is not your average "cheap Mexican."

I haven't been in years, because every time I go home it's closed.  The family that owns Mexican Kitchen go home to Mexico often (a couple of weeks for Christmas and in the summer), and when they do, they close the restaurant.  If anyone back in Hattiesburg would like to ship me a small plate make that a medium plate (TRUE Mexican Kitchen fans will know what that means), I would love you foreva!

The best part about Mexican Kitchen is their bangin' salsa.  It is the best!  Many moons ago, a girl that worked with Adam at Old Navy in Hattiesburg claimed to have the "real" recipe and gave him  a copy.  It may not be the exact recipe, but it sure is darn close.  I LOVE it, and it always reminds me of "the Kitchen."


You're going to want to make this if you like spicy, delicious salsa.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 can rotel
2 tsp cumin
5 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (I use pickled ones out of a jar)
2 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp oil
Pitch of garlic salt
Salt and pepper

Combine ingredients and blend in blender until smooth.  Serve chilled with chips.


post signature

9 comments:

  1. holy #$%@, Shannon.
    You have know idea how much I love you for posting this recipe.
    I CRAVE Mexican Kitchen Salsa everytime Ryan and I even speak of coming to Laurel && I've always wanted the recipe!!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Shannon...you know you should serve that salsa with halved taco shells. But who am I to judge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I was a Hburg person who didn't get the hype of the Kitchen BUT I did really like the salsa! I know many die hards like yourself though that SWEAR by the Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually i have the REAL (like FOR REAL) recipe - my brother knows the owners. here goes:

    Mexican Kitchen Salsa

    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 can Rotel tomatoes/chilies, chopped
    1 ounce vegetable oil
    ½ cup San Marcus jalapeno peppers
    1 teaspoon cumin
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder

    Blend all ingredients in a blender at medium speed. Chill until needed or a minimum of 30 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was pregnant I craved salsa and never found the "perfect" blend!
    I found you through FTLOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the WORST with anything spicy. But, I try to make myself eat spicy salsa because it is SO good! Thank you for sharing - definitely going to try making it when I move home from school because this looks SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know if this is the same dip as the Mexican Kitchen in Columbus, MS?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to eat some of their tamales and enchiladas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to tell u that if u use El Pato tomato sauce (small yellow can) its right on the money!!!! U can't tell the difference between that and getting it at the Mexican Kitchen..... AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...