Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Water

Day 1 of "Drink-athon": I feel like my insides are literally swimming in water!

Let's face it - I'm not a good water drinker. Heck, I'm not a good drinker period! During the day, I just don't drink much. I only drink when I'm thirsty; therefore, not much liquid is consumed. 

Adam and I can go out to dinner, and he will drink 3-4 glasses of water with a meal. Me on the other hand, I drink maybe half a glass or less. I realize now, this is a problem. A major problem!

Eight 8 oz glasses of water is the recommended amount per day!  Are you serious!?!

Training for a half marathon + not drinking much of anything = Disaster!!

Oh, boy!  I have learned my lesson!  Running short distances and not drinking much during the day has never been a problem, but now that I'm up there in the miles, things have changed!  I recently experienced my first stint of dehydration.  I mean full on "my body is literally going to shut down if I don't get water" dehydration.  It wasn't just your typical "I'm tired."  My whole body HURT, and all I could think about was water.

Adam (my handsome athletic trainer husband) said I was definitely dehydrated, and it was confirmed after I didn't use the bathroom for HOURS after running and drinking glass upon glass of water (TMI??).  Not a good sign I hear.  I was totally wiped out for rest of the day.  From here on out, things are going to be different!  I'm never going to let myself get to that point again.  New goals:

1.  Adam and I are buying hydration belts this week.  No more long distance running without water on hand!
2.  Drinking two full water bottles at work each day:
My goal used to be to drink one full water bottle a day at work (which usually worked out to be about 1/2....).
3. Actually drinking water/anything at home (this is a struggle for me...)

Adam and I are running a 15k this weekend.  Yeah, that's 9.3 miles!  I HAVE to be hydrated or I won't make it!  I HAVE to change my drinking habits or I'm in serious trouble!

Today, I reached my goal of drinking two full water bottles at work, but it was a struggle!  I had to really be conscious and drink even though I wasn't thristy.  It was not easy!

So here's to drinking our recommended eight 8 oz glasses of water a day plus some!! Oh, boy....


post signature

9 comments:

  1. I'm TERRIBLE at drinking water. Or anything... I'm the same way you are at meals. Let's motivate each other at work... I'm always up for a little healthy competition, ha! (however, always remember that if you drink too much it's not good either... at least that's what I keep telling myself)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate drinking plain water too. I drink a lot of crystal light. Or, put just a bit of lemon juice in the water so it will taste better.

    Good luck with the run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing! I have another one of those jugs I had at work today. It = exactly 8 glasses of water. You can have it if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a horrible water drinker too! I have also been making a better effort at work and on the weekends since Amanda & I have been training for the 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a "drinking" problem! Lol @Val and Jennifer, game on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just like you. I grabbed a half drank bottle of water as I walked out the door this morning and only half of it is gone. I need to do better and set goals like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bottoms up!
    I used to a be a horribly dehydrated non-water drinker..now that I have changed that I don't know how I survived??? I get so thristy that I know now when I haven't had enough.
    But it is still tough..I have to keep track during the day as to how much I drink or I fall off the wagon..lol!

    have a great race!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from FTLOB. I used to be bad at drinking water too. I have found that having a water bottle with a straw makes it way easier to drink. I know it might sound dumb, but you don't have to fiddle with opening and closing the lid, plus I always used to spill all over myself with those wide bottle necks. I drive a lot for work so I have one of those bite and sip straw bottles and can drink water while in the car. At work I have a large cup with a hard straw and it is easy to drink too. A couple of the girls I work with put cucumber slices in their water and now love to drink it.
    Wow, long comment...congrats on the long runs!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...