Monday, March 7, 2011

Hopefully Some Relief

Remember this post back in August when I was complaining of jaw issues due to clenching my teeth at night (and occasionally grinding)....

Well the problem has only gotten worse (much worse!), so I broke down two weeks ago and visited an oral surgeon.  Sure enough, I have some pretty bad TMJ issues, and if not addressed, will lead to jaw surgery.  (Oh, and did I mention that every doctor I have spoken to about jaw surgery repeatedly tells me that jaw surgery is one of the worse surgeries out there?!?  Probably because of the whole wiring your mouth shut thing!!)

So the oral surgeon suggested this little guy:
A jaw splint that is to be worn 24/7 for three months (except when I'm eating, of course).  After three months, if things have improved, I will just wear it while sleeping.  The splint does not prevent me from clenching my teeth at night but actually prevents my back teeth from touching, which will ultimately take the pressure off my jaw when I try to clench.  The goal is for the inflammation around the joint to go down, and for my jaw to stop popping in and out of place (Yes, you heard right!  My jaw pops in and out of place ALL DAY LONG!).


I was fitted for the splint at my first visit two weeks ago.  I picked it up today, and I'm currently wearing it.  And yes, I sound like I have some type of speech impediment.  The doctor said I just have to get used to it..... 

Here's hoping this little bad boy works!  **fingers crossed**


post signature

2 comments:

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...