Saturday, February 19, 2011

Taxes

Like most Americans, I look forward to filing my taxes every year.  I usually get a nice little sum back from Uncle Sam, and even though I know it's really my money all along, it always feels like "free" money from the money tree.

I finally got all the paper work together today and filed my taxes.  I rely on trusty turbotax.  I don't have complicated taxes, so turbotax is reliable and very inexpensive.  In college, I worked for an independent income tax business for a little while and learned the basics of taxes.  Not that I know a lot, but I feel like I know more than your "Average Joe" when it comes to filing your income taxes.

Well.....my excitement quickly changed this year when the box on turbotax that shows your refund went from a green dollar amount to a red dollar amount (meaning we owed money!!).  What was the problem you ask?  Oh just my sweet loving husband, that's all!!

I don't know what he did when he filled out his W-4 this year with his new job, but he is not NEARLY taking enough money out during the year.  And if you don't have Uncle Sam take the money out throughout the year, he will take his fair share at the beginning of the next year!  Bless him, but this was probably the first time Adam has ever filled out a W-4 without my help (or someone who knows what they are doing helping)....bless him.

CRAP!

Adam's response, "Oh, it's all the same.  We just got that money throughout the year instead."  No, it's NOT the same.  I'm not getting a big fat check!!  Instead, I'm writing one!  (Not really, it's only a small amount we owe, but still...)

Needless to say, this is the FIRST time I have ever had to pay in!  It's really a bummer when you are looking forward to a little extra moolah just to have the rug pulled out from under you.  We are getting a little back from State income tax in North Carolina, so not all is lost, and my sweet loving husband is changing his W-4 FIRST thing Monday morning!!  Good thing he's cute.....


post signature

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. This is literally my first year ever to get any money back (well more than just $50 anyways.) One year I paid in $600 and one year $800! Ugh! You live you learn, I never had anyone to tell me how to do it, so trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a very yummy Mediterranean place in Hendersonville {not sure how close you are from Nashville} called Cafe Rakka. If you ever get a chance, you should visit. It was actually featured on The Food Network on Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation! We love Triple D, and whatever Gui says goes! I live in South Nashville (almost Brentwood), but next time we are in Hendersonville, we will definitely have to try this place.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...