Monday, January 10, 2011

The Great Chili Debate

In our neck of the woods, snow is on the ground, and it is COLD!  I really don't care much for snow except for when I can stay home and enjoy it.  I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to driving with all the "crazies" in the snow and would much rather stay home bundled up with a warm bowl of soup.

Last night, I decided to make some chili to warm us up.  I usually make my mom's chili, because that is what I grew up eating, and well, I like it.  Adam, on the other hand, thought it was lacking something, so we have been trying to adapt the recipe to really make it ours.  We finally found the correct combination of ingredients to make what is now known as Sumrall Chili (formally Mama's Chili).  It's nice to have a recipe that is truly "ours" - not his mom's or my mom's, but ours.

Sumrall Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb ground meat
1 roll of sausage
3 cans kidney beans, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 chopped onion
1 (4 oz) can chopped jalapenos
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown meat, sausage and onions together in a large pot and drain.  Return to pot and add remaining ingredients.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Though there is still the Great Chili Debate - how to eat chili?  I personally believe that the only way to eat chili is with crumbled up cornbread mixed in with the chili and a piece of cornbread on the side (homemade cornbread, of course).  I believe this is the proper southern way to eat chili.  Exhibit A:

Adam, on the other hand, says that this is not the southern way, but the redneck way (how dare he!).  He believes the only way to eat chili is with Frito corn chips, cheese and sour cream (come on - it's chili, not taco soup!).  Exhibit B:
Please notice that Adam tried to be all fancy with his chili "plating - eh, bowling" when he realized that I was taking pictures, and this was going to be a competition.

You be the judge - which way do you prefer your chili?  If you prefer cornbread, please comment.  If you prefer corn chips, keep it to yourself please comment.

Adam and I do agree on one thing though - the Chili was DELICIOUS!

5 comments:

  1. Cornbread OR Fritos...but always with cheese and sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!!! Mmmm.... chili. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to go with Adam on this one. I loooove cornbread. Just not with my chili. (Shh! You don't have to tell him he won my vote!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to side with Adam too. Love my chili with fritos, cheese, and sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it looks like just one tied vote so far, because the other two obviously don't count! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had the choice, I would have one/half bowl with cornbread and one/half bowl with fritos. :) True story.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...