Monday, October 11, 2010

As Promised

A new recipe.

Nicole brought left over cheesy chicken enchilada soup for lunch today at work (yep, she made a pot yesterday and loved it), and ever since lunch, I've been wanting a bowl of soup (so what, if it's 90 degrees outside....).

I decided to try to make a soup that Adam has been requesting since day one: baked potato soup.  Let's be honest, I've never had (nor tried) baked potato soup, because it's all white, and white foods usually scare me (i.e. mayonnaise, ranch, cream cheese - no thank you!  Though I do like cream cheese in stuff, just not by itself).  But love will make you do crazy things!

I found a recipe online that had a lot of great reviews, so I thought what the heck!  Little to my knowledge, baked potato soup is simply white gravy (which I love) with potatoes and all the dressings. 

The soup is SO simple and quick to make.  The longest part is waiting for the potatoes to cook.  I cooked four large potatoes at 425 degrees for one hour.

The recipe requires making a roux out of flour and butter (don't be scared by the word "roux", that simply means to melt butter, then mix in flour until it's creamy), but I decided to use the bacon drippings along with the butter for extra flavor.  Can you ever go wrong with bacon?!?

Adam was totally surprised to come home to a big bowl of baked potato soup.  He ate two bowls!  This soup is not only super easy but delicious!  I've been missing out!  Here's the recipe:

Baked Potato Soup
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
1 1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preparation:
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Add potatoes and onions. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve baked potato soup immediately.  Serves 6 to 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...