Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake

Often I get this itch to bake something.  Not because I want something sweet, but just because I really enjoy baking.  I wouldn't say it's a stress reliever, because let's be honest, I'm not stressed, but baking for me is comparable to what others would call a stress reliever.

If you haven't noticed, I love pound cakes.  I guess it's just a southern thing.  I also love lemon desserts, but don't make them often.  So when I came across a lemon pound cake recipe, I just had to try it out.  Most people might wait until the weekend when they have more time to try out a new recipe, but not me.  It's that baking itch I have that must be scratched.  When I find a recipe that I really like, I have to bake it THAT day.  So like I said, today it was a lemon pound cake.

The recipe called for fresh lemon rind, juice and mint.  I'm not convinced the mint really did anything for the cake.  Next time I would either omit the mint or chop it up MUCH finer.

 Lemon pound cake fresh out of the oven.

We couldn't wait to cut into it to only be disappointed.  The cake tasted good, but it just wasn't lemony enough for either of us.  So I decided to whip up a lemon glaze to drizzle over the cake hoping that would add more lemon flavor.

I think that did the trick!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare the cake, coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

Lightly spoon 3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine 2 cups granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add rind, juice, and mint; beat just until blended.

Spoon batter into prepared pan; sharply tap the pan once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Lemon Glaze (optional):
In a small bowl combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel and enough lemon juice (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cake.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...