Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chalkboard Project

So remember the project I mentioned I was working on with this little $1.99 beauty from the thrift store.....

Well, it's finished!!

What do you think!?! I LOVE it!

I wanted a chalkboard for the kitchen. Since I haven't started my new job yet and I have a little extra time on my hands, I decided I would make one. It's a very easy project!

I spray painted the frame with a couple of coats of a flat green color. Color choice was a huge dilemma for me, but I'm really happy with the green.

If you're not familiar with chalkboard paint, get familiar! This stuff is amazing! If I had children, I would paint an accent wall in their bedroom with chalkboard paint, so they could chalk it up. How fun would that be?!?

I read one blog with a similar chalkboard project, and she suggested painting the chalkboard paint right on the glass of the picture frame. I found this odd but decided to give it a try. BIG mistake! That just made a HUGE mess! So on to Plan B. I painted on the board that was right behind the picture in the frame, and it worked marvelously!

The back of the chalkboard paint can says to wait 24 hours before applying a second coat, but a lot of blogs said that was way too long, and 1.5-2 hours was plenty. So I applied 5 coats of paint (recommended is 4-5 coats) over the course of Friday.

I waited 24 hours before I wrote on the board, and it worked perfectly!

I love my little chalkboard!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, this is so cute! What is even more ironic is that I worked on a similar project myself this weekend. I have a mirror that I wanted to do something with because I have too many mirrors!

    Love the color you picked!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...